When you think of warming fall flavors, this soup has them all. Make sure you use every spice—they combine to create a wonderful taste and aroma. This soup is so fabulous in the fall. Remember it for Thanksgiving, a golden harvest tribute.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 1/2-3 pound pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and medium diced
2 turnips, medium dice
1 teaspoon curry
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon coriander
¼ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon cardamom
¼ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
8 cups vegetable stock
2 tart apples, deseeded and sliced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. Heat oil in large pot on medium heat.
2. Sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
3. Add all vegetables. Cook for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are softened.
4. Add all spices and stir to mix. Add broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and lower to a simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add apples and vinegar. Simmer an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
6. Purée in batches until smooth using a blender or use an immerser in the pot. Adjust seasoning and serve.
TIP: Acorn or Butternut Squash can be substituted for the pumpkin.