Shepherd's Pie Light
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, small dice
1 cup turnips, small dice
1/2 bell pepper, small dice
1 cup broccoli florets, steamed
1/2 pound ground meat of choice
1/2 cup broth
1 1/2 teaspoons Worchester sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups cauliflower mash
1. Add oil to skillet. Sauté onions for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add cloves and sauté for 1 minutes. Add celery, carrots turnips and bell pepper. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are soft. Remove from pan and save in bowl.
2. Sauté ground meat until cooked through. Add broth. Mix vegetables back in with meat. Add Worchester Sauce, salt, pepper and basil.
3. Place meat mixture into over proof dish. Gently spoon cauliflower mash evenly over the meat mixture until it is all covered. Smooth and add a bit of ground pepper on top if desired.
4. Bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes. Let cool for a few moments before serving.
Expand the Table
1. Invite the vegetarians: Increase the vegetables to 5 cups, keeping these vegetables or adding others such as steamed cauliflower, peas, parsnips, mushrooms and so on. May top with cheese.
2. Make it allium free: Substitute fennel for onions and radishes for garlic.