1. Slice mushroom tops off and reserve.
2. Cut the stems into 3/4” circles.
3. Make the brine and soak in salt water for a5 minutes, to mimic that sweet saltiness of scallops. If the “scallops” float up, put a plate or bowl to keep under water. Do not over soak. Remove from brine and place on paper towels and gently blot excess moisture to prevent steaming as we want a nice searing. Sprinkle with black pepper.
4. Sauté in medium high heat pre heated pan over vegan butter until golden brown a few minutes. Don’t over crowd a pan—leave space between each “scallop”. Don’t need to touch it or over flip. Let sear for 1 or 2 minutes. Then flip. Remove from pan and do other batch if needed. In same pan, sauté tops of reserved mushrooms.
5. Spiralize zucchini. Toss with 1 roasted onion, broccoli, the reserved mushroom tops and pesto to taste. Place scallops around the zoodles.
6. The vegan scallops are also great with rice, pasta Alfredo or over bed of polenta.
4 King Oyster Mushrooms
4 cup water with 1 tablespoon salt for brine
1 tablespoon vegan butter, or more if needed
1 large zucchini
1 onion, sliced thinly and roasted
1 bell peppers
1 cup steamed broccoli caps