Cauliflower--no longer the forgotten vegetable!
Cauliflower is a most versatile vegetable: eat it raw, use it as a substitute for rice, mash it like potatoes, coat it and roast it or make it into a soup!
1. Raw and cut into florets- makes a great healthy snack you can dip into your favorite sauce.
2. Mashed cauliflower potatoes- prepare the same way you would make traditional potatoes. The color, texture and taste is so similar! So next time you want the kids to eat more veggies try making purple cauliflower mashed potatoes!
3. Cauliflower Rice- basically this is grated cauliflower that resembles the look of rice or couscous. It is a wonderful substitute for rice and very easy to prepare. Now-a-days you can buy bags of fresh or frozen cauliflower rice in the grocery stores, so you have no excuse not to try it! Just sauté an onion in a pan, add the cauliflower, seasonings and enough water to soften the "rice".
4. Cauliflower Nuggets- the texture of roasted cauliflower is slightly meaty. Try coating the florets in an egg wash then coat in a nut crust or breading. Arrange on a sheet tray and bake until crispy. Makes a great alternative to meat as the main course.
5. Cauliflower Soup -An excellent soup, base for soups or sauces. It gives dishes a creamy look and taste without actually adding cream. Also try adding cauliflower to stews or curries.
Who knows? Cauliflower might become one of your new favorite vegetables!