Sushi Sans Rice--Delicious!
California Style Cauliflower Sushi
1/2 head cauliflower
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
3-4 avocado slices
Carrot sliced into matchstick slices
Cucumber sliced into matchstick slices
2 slices lox thinly sliced
1. Core cauliflower and chop into pieces. Place in food processor and pulse until crumbly, or you may grate by hand.
2. Place cauliflower in microwave safe bowl and cover. Microwave for 3 minutes on high. Place in clean towel and wring excess moisture out.
3. Stir together vinegar and sugar until dissolved. Add to cauliflower and mix gently.
4. Slice the carrots, cucumber and mango into thin, matchstick-like pieces for easy rolling. Cut the avocado into thin slices. Set aside all fillings on a plate to have ready when you assemble the sushi. Or choose your favorite vegetable or fruit fillings
5. Lay a sheet of nori on the sushi rolling mat. Place cauliflower mix on nori. Cover the nori from edge to edge with a thin even layer of the cauliflower rice, leaving a one-inch space at one edges of the nori without rice.
6. Add fillings, placing them close to the end of the nori where the rice comes to the edge. Lay the pieces in a thin row. Don’t add too much filling as it makes it more difficult to roll.
7. Have some water at hand to help you roll the sushi. Start to roll by pulling up the mat slightly and tucking the row of filling into the first complete roll. Press down with the mat around this first roll to help make a nice tight roll. Continue rolling with the help of the mat and pressing/tucking as you go to keep the roll tight until you get to the end of the nori sheet with the one-inch section without rice. Dab a bit of water on the end of the nori to help it stick
8. With a sharp knife, cut the sushi roll into pieces. Repeat with another nori sheet, cauliflower rice and other fillings until you use up the ingredients.