Flourless Chocolate Pecan Torte
Expand the Table
Dairy Free: Substitute dairy free margarine for cake and non-dairy whipped cream for topping.
Diabetic: Use ½ cup stevia for sugar in cake and sugar free chocolate syrup for topping.
2 cups pecans, ground
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
5 eggs, separated
½ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup water
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Coat a spring-form pan with non-stick spray.
2. Add dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
3. Separate eggs. Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside. Add the egg yolks and rest of wet ingredients to the batter and blend well.
4. Fold in egg whites.
5. Pour batter into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cut when cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar over top or drizzle melted bittersweet chocolate over top. Add a dollup of homemade whipped cream for special occasions!