Challah French Toast Casserole
1 loaf challah Serves 6-8
1 stick butter, unsalted, softened
½ tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
6 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
¾ cup sugar
3 ½ cups half and half
1 tablespoon vanilla
¼ cup orange marmalade
1. Cream the softened butter with the cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. Slice the challah into 1-inch slices, so it yields about 8 slices. Spread the butter over one side of each slice.
3. Shingle the slices in a 9x13 dish
4. Whisk the yolks and eggs together with the sugar and set aside
5. Heat the half and half and the vanilla in a pot until hot but not boiling. Slowly ladle the hot cream into the eggs. Whisk in between each pouring so the eggs do not scramble.
6. Pour custard over the bread and soak for 10 minutes.
7. Bake covered for 45 minutes at 350. Spread the marmalade over the top of the French toast when it comes out of the oven and dust with powdered sugar.
Expand the Table
Make it Dairy Free: Substitute dairy free margarine for butter, and non-dairy milk.