Quinoa, Bean, Corn and Pepper Salad
1 cup quinoa
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 leek, chopped including green
2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
6 tablespoons EVOO
5 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
Cook quinoa according to package directions.
Place quinoa in a bowl and fluff with a fork. Add beans, tomatoes, corn, bell pepper, leek, red onions and parsley.
Dressing: Combine EVOO, lemon juice and cumin. Whisk together and pour over vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to eat.
Adapted from Hip Kosher by Ronnie Fein.
1. Allium free: omit onion and add sliced fennel.
2. Add in the veggies: so many veggies to add to this salad! Cubed cucumbers, black olives, steamed green beans, edamame, for example.
3. Feeling nutty! Add toasted walnuts, almonds or pecans.
4. Meaty: Add thin slices of grilled beef or chicken.
5. Add the fish: Add chunks of grilled salmon or other favorite fish.
6. Sweeten the salad: Add golden or dark raisins or dried cranberries
7. Vary the grain: Try farro, barley or rice in place of quinoa