Heirloom Tomato Salad
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 large Heirloom tomato, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, thinly sliced (peel, if not organic)
1 slice red onion
2-3 fresh basil leaves, sliced
1 sprigs fresh thyme
3-4 grape tomatoes, halved
Mix first 3 ingredients together. Add olive oil and whisk until dressing thickens.
1. Arrange tomatoes and cucumbers attractively on plate. Toss red onion evenly.
2. Sprinkle the dressing on top of the vegetables. Place basil leaves and thyme sprigs over the tomatoes and cucumbers.
3. Cut grape tomatoes and place on top, if desired.
1. Make it Allium Free: Eliminate onion and garlic. Add a sliced radish to the salad.
2. For the meat eaters: Cut a slice or two of salami into thin strips and curl.
3. Sugar Free is healthy: Substitute 1/4 teaspoon of Stevia for sugar.
4. A Zippier Dressing: Add 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard to the dressing.