Creamy Mushroom Soup expandthetable.net
2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms, with warm water to cover
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
2 tablespoons flour
3 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon dried thyme or leaves from 3 fresh sprigs
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Fresh thyme and parsley for garnish
1. Soak porcini mushrooms in warm water for 1 hour. Make sure that mushrooms are totally covered with water. Drain and reserve liquid. Trim woody stems from mushrooms and chop remaining mushroom tops. Strain liquid with cheese cloth or a very fine sieve.
2. Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a soup pot. Add garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute until they begin to soften. Add mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, until the mushrooms start to brown. Remove to a bowl.
3. Add 1 tablespoon oil to soup pot. Melt and sprinkle flour on oil and whisk quickly to a paste. Reduce heat to medium. Add the stock a little at a time, whisking out the lumps and stirring until smooth. Add porcini mushroom liquid to pot and stir to combine.
4. Simmer stock for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms back to the soup pot and cook for 2-3 minutes until stock thickens to become creamy. Cook stirring until the soup is completely heated but does not boil. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cool. Leave chunky as is or purée with immerser in pot or with blender to a velvety smoothness.
5. Garnish with sauteéd mushrooms and a bit of olive oil or try fresh thyme or parsley and homemade croutons.
This soup is vegan.
Gluten free: Use potato starch in place of flour.
Buttery flavor: Use butter in place of olive oil.