Apple Cake, Moist and Dense
1/3 cup chopped dates
1/3 cup raisins, golden or dark
½ cup Drambuie or other liqueur
2½ cups flour
1¾ cups white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¾ teaspoons salt
4 cups slightly tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
¾ cup melted butter
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2-3 tablespoons apricot jam or marmalade, melted, for topping, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325.Spray round baking pan, such as spring form, with vegetable oil.
2. Place dates and raisins in a small bowl. Cover with Drambuie, adding more if needed.
3. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. Add apples, dates and raisins with Drambuie, melted butter and eggs. Mix well. The batter will be thick. Pour into baking pan, spreading to even out batter.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until center springs back and cake tester emerges dry and clean.
6. You may drizzle melted apricot jam or marmalade on the cake when you remove it from the oven. Cake is delicious warm or room temperature.
Dairy Free/Pareve: Use non-dairy margarine.
Gluten Free: Use gluten free flour. Use gluten free baking powder.
Diabetic: Use a scant 1 cup Stevia for white sugar in recipe. Use ¼ cup Truvia brown sugar substitute for brown sugar. Use a sugar free jam or marmalade.